50g baking margarine, plus a little for rubbing over the tin
50g vegetable oil
95g light brown sugar
4 level tbsp (about 85g) black treacle
2 free range eggs, beaten
170g plain flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
140ml semi-skimmed milk, warmed
To serve, fresh ripe pear
- Preheat the oven to 140C/fan 120C/Gas 1. Rub a little margarine over a 900g loaf tin and line the base with greaseproof and baking paper or use a loaf tin liner.
- Put the margarine, oil, sugar and treacle into a saucepan and heat gently, stirring, until melted.
- Leave to cool slightly and then stir in the beaten eggs, flour, cinnamon and ginger.
- Add the bicarbonate of soda to the warmed milk and pour this straight over the ginger mix and stir well.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 50-55 minutes. The top of the loaf should have a slight crust but if you insert a skewer it should come out clean.
Source - The Co-Operative instore magazine.