We first tried this dish whilst sampling some tasty delights at a Christmas Market event in Portmeirion and was loved by all of us, so armed with the handy recipe book provided by Meat Promotion Wales my son made it for us one evening this week.
The verdict - still as delicious as when the professional made it! So here's the recipe - enjoy!
Lamb, Rocket & Parmesan Risotto
Takes 30-35 mins, serves 2 very generous portions (but we served 2 adults and 2 children!)
225g lean Welsh lamb leg steaks, cut into small cubes
1 tsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
150g risotto (Arborio) rice
1 pint stock
50g sugar snap peas, sliced
50g frozen peas
Parmesan cheese or mature Cheddar cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and lightly fry the onion and lean lamb cubes.
- Add the risotto rice and stir thoroughly.
- Add a little stock and bring to the boil, add plenty of black pepper, add the remaining stock gradually and give it a good stir every now and again, simmering gently for about 30 mins or until the rice is cooked and all the liquid has been absorbed. (Add a little more stock to achieve your desired texture/consistency).
- During the last 5 mins of cooking time add the sugar snap peas and frozen peas, stir together and cook until the sugar snaps just start to soften.
- Season and finish off with a handful of rocket and grated parmesan cheese or a strong Cheddar cheese.