Lebanese Lamb Meatballs with Lemon Couscous – serves 4-6
750g minced lamb
3 tsp Baharat seasoning
1 tsp finely chopped garlic
4 tbsp olive oil
400g can chopped tomatoes
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp hot chilli powder
½ pint chicken stock
1 tbsp lemon juice
150ml thick natural yoghurt
½ tsp dried mint
- Peel and grate 1 onion into a large bowl, add the mince and Baharat. Mix and divide into 12 balls. Cover with cling film and chill.
- Finely dice the other onion. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and gently cook the onion and garlic for 2-3 mins. Add tomatoes, chilli and sugar. Season and simmer gently for 20 mins until thick.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil and fry the meatballs, rolling around until browned. Add the tomato sauce and reduce heat to cook through.
- Place couscous in a bowl, add oil, hot stock and lemon juice. Stir, cover and leave to stand for 15 mins. Fluff with a fork before serving.
- For a mint dressing, mix the natural yoghurt and mint together. Serve chilled.
Source: Bart Spices recipe card