4-5 Bramley apples (800g unprepared weight)
Juice of ½ a lemon
275g light brown sugar
5 medium eggs
100g butter, melted
Pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
215g plain flour
¾ tsp baking powder
100g ground almonds
Ice cream or cream, to serve
- Preheat the oven to Gas 4, 180C, fan 160C. Grease a 23cm (9”) springform cake tin and line the base and sides with non-stick baking paper.
- Peel, halve and core the apples. If you have a melon baller, you can use this to neatly scoop out the cores. Slice the apples into ½ cm thick slices. Sprinkle with the lemon juice and 50g of the sugar and set aside.
- Scatter a further 50g of the sugar over the base of the tin. Cover with a layer of apple slices, overlapping them slightly so they sit in concentric circles.
- Beat the eggs, melted butter, remaining sugar, salt and vanilla extract together until combined. Sift the flour and baking powder over the mixture, followed by the ground almonds. Add the remaining apple slices, including any liquid, and fold together quickly. Pour into the tin and bake for 50 mins, until the cake has risen and is golden brown. (At around 30 mins into the baking time, check the cake. If the top is golden brown by that point, cover with a layer of foil for the remainder of the baking time.)
- Carefully turn out onto a serving plate so that the base is uppermost. Serve warm with ice cream or cream.
Per serving: 315 kcal, 28g sugar, 15g fat, 5.5g saturated fat, 0.4g salt.
Source: Tesco instore recipe card.