Bonfire Cake – serves 10
225g butter, softened and extra for greasing
22g soft brown sugar
4 large eggs, beaten
225g self raising flour
For the filling:
100g soft brown sugar
75ml evaporated milk
150g white chocolate, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Grease 2 20cm sandwich tins and line the base with paper.
2. Beat butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add eggs a little at a time beating well between each addition, adding a little flour if the mixture starts to curdle.
3. Fold in the remaining flour. Divide mixture evenly between the cake tins. Bake for 25 mins or until the top springs back when lightly pressed. Turn out and cool on a wire rack.
4. While the cakes are baking make the icing. Put sugar and evaporated milk in a pan and stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil and cook for 2 mins without stirring. Remove from the heat, add the butter and chocolate and stir until melted and smooth. Leave to cool then chill until spreading consistency, about 1 hour.
5. Sandwich cakes together with half the icing then spread the rest on top. Finish off with sparklers to serve.
Per serving: 455 calories, 21g saturated fat.