Tuesday, 22 May 2012

There, their, they're...

Some may find this post criticising, boring or too academic but one of my pet hates is the incorrect usage of words... "there", "their" and "they're" being prime suspects! 

Correct usage.... "They're over there with their toys".

With the increase of text-language and slang used in normal conversations, sometimes I worry that my children will grow up without the basic skill of how to spell and use correct grammar.

A good way to remember where to put commas comes from the sentence, "Let's eat Grandma"....

OK, OK, "Let's eat, Grandma" sounds and looks much better!  See, punctuation really does save lives!

And the violent panda that lies within us all, "Eats, shoots and leaves"!



My daughter's only 7 years old and reading very well for her age.  She can understand punctuation and knows where to pause and take a breath!  My son is starting to read and from the beginning, we have shown him how to read and use the full stops and commas correctly.

Needless to say, I have checked and double-checked today's post and cannot see any mistakes - if you find any, please comment!  I promise that I will take any corrections well!

Although I must admit, one word I always have to double check is "stationery" and "stationary"!