So here we go - here's one of my entries to the fantastic Gourmet Garden's Blog Off Cook Off competition.
Chilli Meatballs with a Basil & Tomato Sauce - serves 1-2
For the meatballs
150g minced beef or lamb
1 tbsp Gourmet Garden garlic
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp Gourmet Garden chilli
2 tbsp olive oil
For the tomato and basil sauce
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 small carton of passata (250g)
1/2 onion, very finely chopped
1 tbsp Gourmet Garden basil
1 tsp Gourmet Garden garlic
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Freshly cooked spaghetti
Green side salad
- Add all the meatball ingredients (except the olive oil) to a large bowl, mix with your hands and shape into small meatballs (about 6-8).
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and fry the meatballs for 5-6 minutes. Remove from the pan, set aside and keep warm.
- Whilst the meatballs are cooking, fry the onion in a little oil in a small saucepan until soft. Add the passata, basil and garlic and heat through gently.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve the meatballs on top of the tomato and basil sauce on a bed of freshly cooked spaghetti, with a fresh green side salad.