So here we go - here's one of my entries to the fantastic Gourmet Garden's Blog Off Cook Off competition.
Chilli Chocolate Ginger Cupcakes - makes 12
140g self raising flour
115g unsalted butter (softened) or liquid Stork margarine
115g caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
2 medium eggs
1 tbsp Gourmet Garden ginger
200g icing sugar, sifted
100g unsalted butter, softened
1 tbsp cocoa powder mixed with 1 tbsp hot water (cooled)
1 tsp Gourmet Garden chilli
12 strawberries, washed and wiped
- Add all of the cupcake ingredients to a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer for 3-5 minutes until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Divide between 12 large cupcake/muffin cases and bake in a preheated oven (Gas 4) for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire cooling rack.
- For the buttercream; beat the icing sugar and butter for 5-6 minutes until pale, light and fluffy. Add the cooled cocoa powder/water and the chilli - mix until well combined.
- Pipe swirls of the buttercream on top of the cooled cupcakes and top with a fan-cut strawberry.
- Serve and enjoy!