So, to cut to the chase, I really like scones but they have to be plain with just butter and no jam!
Here's my favourite recipe!
450g (1lb) strong white flour
5 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
75g (3oz) unsalted butter
150g (5oz) sultanas or other dried fruit - I leave these out sometimes if baking just for me!
75g (3oz) caster sugar
2 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
250ml (9 floz) milk plus extra for glazing
Butter, to serve (or clotted cream and jam - whatever takes your fancy!)
- Preheat the oven to 220C/450F/Gas 7. Grease a large baking tray.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl, then rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar, sultanas and eggs.
- Stir in the milk with a wooden spoon, a little at a time, to form a smooth dough.
- Roll the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface to a thickness of 2cm/¾in.
- Dip a 5cm/2in pastry cutter into a little flour and cut out the scones (be careful not to twist the cutter as it will cause the scones to rise unevenly).
- Carefully brush the tops of the scones with a little milk, taking care not to let any run over the edge.
- Place the scones onto the baking tray and bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes, or until golden-brown.
- Remove the scones from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Serve the warm scones as you like them!
|These are family-scones, not Katie (fruit-free) scones!|
Recipe adapted from > http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/sultana_scones_with_98294