Friday 11 April 2014

Deliciously Simple Scones!

Everyone thinks I'm a bit of a strange one - I like all fruit (with the exception of bananas!) but not cooked fruit in anyway, nor dried fruit! AND, I don't like jam but I like marmalade... orange 'jam', I know but I don't like any other type!

So, to cut to the chase, I really like scones but they have to be plain with just butter and no jam!

Here's my favourite recipe!

Ingredients
450g (1lb) strong white flour
5 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
75g (3oz) unsalted butter
150g (5oz) sultanas or other dried fruit - I leave these out sometimes if baking just for me!
75g (3oz) caster sugar
2 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
250ml (9 floz) milk plus extra for glazing
Butter, to serve (or clotted cream and jam - whatever takes your fancy!)

  1. Preheat the oven to 220C/450F/Gas 7. Grease a large baking tray.
  2. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl, then rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
  3. Stir in the sugar, sultanas and eggs.
  4. Stir in the milk with a wooden spoon, a little at a time, to form a smooth dough.
  5. Roll the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface to a thickness of 2cm/¾in.
  6. Dip a 5cm/2in pastry cutter into a little flour and cut out the scones (be careful not to twist the cutter as it will cause the scones to rise unevenly).
  7. Carefully brush the tops of the scones with a little milk, taking care not to let any run over the edge.
  8. Place the scones onto the baking tray and bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes, or until golden-brown.
  9. Remove the scones from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Serve the warm scones as you like them!
These are family-scones, not Katie (fruit-free) scones!

Recipe adapted from > http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/sultana_scones_with_98294

No comments:

Post a Comment